Why is that, what should seem like a simple decision, can turn into a swirling state of ‘buts or what ifs’ leading to a state of paralyzation to decide at all. Well, friends, that is a sign that you are probably struggling with being grounded.
Quite possibly you are rocked off your center, most likely spinning one too many plates at once. Sound familiar? You are not alone.
In this 4th blog in the series of ideas of How to Live in Alignment : Physically and Soulfully we will look at the ‘G’ in the acronym ALIGN for GROUNDING. In this article you will find some grounding techniques you can do to redistribute anxious energy in your mind and channel it into your body for release. Taking these simple actions creates an almost instant calming effect. So take your shoes off and let’s get to work.
First let’s take the soul to the science and look at what feeling grounded basically means :
- Feeling connected with your body / and or the earth
- Feeling in the present moment
Being grounded is a feeling of calm, connected stillness even while life is buzzing around us. It’s the strong wave of focus you intentionally ride into each moment, aware of your body and it’s alignment consciously tethered to the earth.
Feeling grounded is “Being in the moment and just experiencing the world as it is rather than through past memories or a filter. You are living your life with intent and purpose rather than just passively watching your life go by. You are owning your feelings, emotions and body by just being in the moment.” - Rebecca Taylor
When we are ungrounded it is hard to follow our intuition, our conscious reasoning, and listen to what is intrinsically our first reaction without the frazzled injection of outcomes that have yet to unfurl. When we are not feeling centered and grounded we tend to overthink situations and allow the external buzz of busy life to override the peace and calm inside that we can always come back to, in a matter of minutes, seconds really. Here’s some ideas how:
6 Ways to Ground Yourself and Come Back to Your Center
- BREATHE - This is an obvious one, but it is the quickest most accessible tool we have to instantly ground ourselves. Take a minute to close your eyes, follow the outline of your body in your mind’s eye. Hone in on your center of gravity (just below your belly button lining up with sacrum 2 in your low back) and feel your feet rooted down into the earth. The 5-Second Rule is an excellent tool to instantly re-center.
- EARTHING - Take this a step further as an energy balance daily practice. When you're outside, you can easily ground yourself by allowing the bottoms of your feet, palms of your hands, or the entire body to touch the earth. The central theory from an highly accredited review study explains that grounding affects the living matrix, which is the central connector between living cells. They believe that through grounding, the natural defenses of the body can be restored.
- NERVOUS SYSTEM SUPPLEMENT- Support your body’s master switch, the endocannabinoid system, with the natural grounding power of FOCUS CBD Oil. A few small drops under your tongue promotes greater focus, stimulates mental clarity and productivity function.
- MOVE YOUR BODY - Go for a walk outside, get on the mat and do some Pilates or Yoga. We can center and ground ourselves through breath infused in a moving meditation.
- SET ASIDE TIME - When life becomes wakomatic and you feel like the joy is being silenced from your existence it’s a sign you need to STEP AWAY. Make your mind body vitality a priority and carve out a morning or afternoon where you can have some time to center yourself without any guilt of fully engaging in this sacred YOU time.
- MUSIC - Ahhh, yes ‘Music is Everything’. You said it Bob. Taking time to listen to music, earphones plugged in to create even more focused submersion. Allow yourself to let go of the to-dos and hold onto the inspiring vibes of your favorite tunes. Root back to your soulful center.
There you have it, some simple ideas to help quiet the mind to ground and center the body. When we are grounded we experience a deep sense of mindfulness and a profound connection to our authentic self. Your mind and body deserve a restorative reset which you thankfully can do at any moment of the day. As our wise friend Thich Nhat Hanh says ‘walk as if you are kissing the earth with your feet’